Nov 09, 2018 | Aaron Walsh | 1077 views
Jr. Cougars 2008 Tier 1 Blue – Atom AA Champions at 14th Annual Capital Fall Classic Tournament in Ottawa
November 2nd – 4th saw the Jr. Cougars 2008 Tier 1 Blue travel to the Nation's Capital. The team played some of their best hockey of the season going undefeated in 6 games (5 wins, 1 tie) and winning the Atom AA division title.
Throughout the tournament the Jr. Cougars demonstrated excellent chemistry and team play on the ice. Every player repeatedly stepped up their game and contributed. On offense they displayed balanced scoring between all 3 forward lines and defense. In the defensive zone, their goalie tandem stood tall, and players worked hard to minimize their opponents'scoring chances. The coaching staff and parents could not be more proud of the effort and hard work put forth by all Jr. Cougars players.
The trip to the Capital City of Canada provided many highlights, here are a few:
* The team attended the Ottawa Senators vs Buffalo Sabres game on Thursday night (and Ben Hepburn got a hockey stick from Ottawa defenseman Thomas Chabot!)
* According to sources, Coach Jay’s breakfast sandwich of Champions caught the eye of some parents who eagerly awaited the morning meal to replicate this tasty delicacy
* Mac Rawson, Tanner Deacon, and Liam Ryerson scored their first goals of the season!
* Coach Geoff demonstrated his knowledge of hockey with a friendly bet with the players prior to one of our games. For those players who lost, Coach Geoff is still waiting to collect (Parents - if you were unaware of the bet ask your player and be prepared to cover the cost!)
* Brody Sixsmith and Lucas Smith proudly collected the trophy for the Jr. Cougars
Coach Jay says, "The Capital Fall Classic was more than a tournament for the Jr. Cougars. It provided an opportunity for players and parents to spend time together away from the arena. As a coach and parent, watching team relationships grow off the ice, then translate into on ice success, was truly amazing."
Congratulations again to our Jr. Cougars for bringing home the gold! Next up for the 2008 Tier 1 Blues is the Wayne Gretzky International Tournament in Brantford.